Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music. Essentially, everybody who made interesting records during those years — from Howlin’ Wolf to the Beatles — appeared on the show at some time, and almost invariably live. Rhino has prepared an incredible 12 volumes of performances from the show. On the basis of Frat Party and Jackie Wilson, which are among the first releases, the project is a smashing success. The Jackie Wilson package, however, is a flat-out stunner: the only program on video offering an in-depth look at a major R&B figure who combined the sweet but soulful vocal style of Sam Cooke with the athletic grace of the early James Brown. A
Shindig! Presents Jackie Wilson Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music....Shindig! Presents Jackie WilsonMusical, DocumentaryUnrated Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music....1991-08-02Rhino Video
Genre: Musical, Documentary; Starring: Jackie Wilson; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Rhino Video
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- '12 Monkeys' boss answers some burning questions
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!