There are some bands from whom the last thing anyone wants is a surprise, and the Fabulous Thunderbirds is one of them. Perhaps that’s why the band doesn’t provide any on Walk That Walk, its seventh album, staying well within the exceedingly narrow confines of roadhouse R&B, its genre of choice. As purveyors of white Texas blues, the Fab T-Birds have always been smooth and professional. The result has been that each of their albums rose or fell on the merits of its songs. On Walk That Walk there are several good ones — ”Roller Coaster” and ”Paralyzed” in particular — and a number of more predictable tunes (among them ”Ain’t That a Lot of Love,” ”Born to Love You,” ”Need Somebody to Love,” whose titles alone tell the story). But shadowing the material is a change in personnel. One can’t help noticing that it has taken two East Coast guitarists — Duke Robillard and Kid Bangham, both from Roomful of Blues — to replace the distinctive Jimmie Vaughan, and that while their playing is adequate, more in this case is less. B
Walk That Walk, Talk That TalkThere are some bands from whom the last thing anyone wants is a surprise, and the Fabulous Thunderbirds is one of them. Perhaps that's why the band...Walk That Walk, Talk That TalkBlues, RockThere are some bands from whom the last thing anyone wants is a surprise, and the Fabulous Thunderbirds is one of them. Perhaps that's why the band...1991-08-02
Genre: Blues, Rock
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!