The grandfathers of country’s ”outlaw” movement, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson revolutionized country records in the mid-’70s with Nelson’s sparsely produced Red Headed Stranger, and their joint collection (with Tompall Glaser and Jessi Colter) The Outlaws, which was the first country album to sell a million copies. Nelson is far more effective on his solo album, Who’ll Buy My Memories?, released to offset part of his $16 million Internal Revenue Service debt (and sold exclusively via TV ads and phone orders. Consisting of 25 original songs recorded way back when — ”Lonely Little Mansion” is from 1963, ”Yesterday’s Wine” from 1971, and the exquisite ”I Still Can’t Believe You’re Gone” from 1974, for example — the album features only Nelson’s warm, emotive baritone and the deft accompaniment of his acoustic guitar. All of these tunes, written when Nelson still had something to say, explain how he came close to being a deity in his native Texas, bringing together hippies and rednecks in pure appreciation of his music. B+
Who'll Buy My Memories? (The IRS Tapes) The grandfathers of country's ''outlaw'' movement, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson revolutionized country records in the mid-'70s with Nelson's...Who'll Buy My Memories? (The IRS Tapes)Country The grandfathers of country's ''outlaw'' movement, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson revolutionized country records in the mid-'70s with Nelson's...1991-08-02
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Willie Nelson; Producer (group): Sony Music
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- Michael Fassbender rises to power in new 'Macbeth' trailer
- Janet Jackson kicks off world tour with new song featuring Missy Elliott
- Alison Mosshart details the Dead Weather's new album
- J.K. Rowling wishes James Sirius Potter a happy first day at Hogwarts
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!