The grandfathers of country’s ”outlaw” movement, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson revolutionized country records in the mid-’70s with Nelson’s sparsely produced Red Headed Stranger, and their joint collection (with Tompall Glaser and Jessi Colter) The Outlaws, which was the first country album to sell a million copies. Nelson is far more effective on his solo album, Who’ll Buy My Memories?, released to offset part of his $16 million Internal Revenue Service debt (and sold exclusively via TV ads and phone orders. Consisting of 25 original songs recorded way back when — ”Lonely Little Mansion” is from 1963, ”Yesterday’s Wine” from 1971, and the exquisite ”I Still Can’t Believe You’re Gone” from 1974, for example — the album features only Nelson’s warm, emotive baritone and the deft accompaniment of his acoustic guitar. All of these tunes, written when Nelson still had something to say, explain how he came close to being a deity in his native Texas, bringing together hippies and rednecks in pure appreciation of his music. B+
Who'll Buy My Memories? (The IRS Tapes) The grandfathers of country's ''outlaw'' movement, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson revolutionized country records in the mid-'70s with Nelson's...Who'll Buy My Memories? (The IRS Tapes)Country The grandfathers of country's ''outlaw'' movement, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson revolutionized country records in the mid-'70s with Nelson's...1991-08-02
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Willie Nelson; Producer (group): Sony Music
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized: 'in good spirits'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!