Paris Dreambook, Lawrence Osborne’s hyperbolic ode to the City of Light reads something like the transcript of a nightmare, complete with the kind of cryptic, macabre images that surface so readily in the subconscious. In his noble effort to avoid the clichés of expatriate narrative, Osborne presents Paris as a kind of European annex to the East Village. We navigate this urban demimonde via the author’s overflowing prose, which reads as if it were inspired by the steady ingestion of gritty, bar-counter coffee from his favored section of Clichy. Indeed, except for portentous chapter headings, Osborne’s writing flows like the opaque waters of the Seine, filled with all the grimy debris of daily life that both residents and tourists prefer not to acknowledge. B
Paris Dreambook: An Unconventional Guide to the Splendor and Squalor of the City Paris Dreambook, Lawrence Osborne's hyperbolic ode to the City of Light reads something like the transcript of a nightmare, complete...Paris Dreambook: An Unconventional Guide to the Splendor and Squalor of the CityTravel, NonfictionLawrence Osborne Paris Dreambook, Lawrence Osborne's hyperbolic ode to the City of Light reads something like the transcript of a nightmare, complete...1991-08-09Pantheon
Genre: Travel, Nonfiction; Author: Lawrence Osborne; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted August 9 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Edgar Wright pays tribute to Wes Craven
- 'Concussion' trailer: Will Smith wants the NFL to tell the truth
- 'Graceland' sneak peek: Has Mike uncovered Briggs' master plan?
- Miley Cyrus' wardrobe malfunction at VMAs unacceptable: PTC
- MTV's 'Scream' to pay tribute to Wes Craven
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!