Ever since druids first painted themselves blue, England has been known for breeding eccentrics. Songwriter Robyn Hitchcock used to be one of the most fascinating, thanks to Monty Python-esque songs that, like 1984’s ”Uncorrected Personality Traits” and 1988’s ”Flesh Number One (Beatle Dennis),” featured a hefty amount of drug-trippy babble. But recently Hitchcock has turned his gushing spigot of nuttiness way down, and on Perspex Island his eyeballs have finally stopped twirling. Listeners are now free to concentrate on his superb Beatles-inspired melodies, and, in songs like ”Ultra Unbelievable Love” and ”Earthly Paradise,” his pretty harmonies and folk-rock guitar work. Longtime fans, though, may find they miss Hitchcock’s impenetrable surreal lyrics, which always seemed to mask deep and moving insights. Or did they? Perspex Island makes one reconsider, and after years of believing Hitchcock a sage, it’s a bit disappointing to think that when he sang ”My Wife and My Dead Wife,” he was just lovesick like everybody else. B+
Perspex IslandEver since druids first painted themselves blue, England has been known for breeding eccentrics. Songwriter Robyn Hitchcock used to be one of the most...Perspex IslandRockEver since druids first painted themselves blue, England has been known for breeding eccentrics. Songwriter Robyn Hitchcock used to be one of the most...1991-08-09
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): A&M
Posted August 9 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Best moments from 'Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular'
- Kelly Rutherford reunites with her kids
- Ed Sheeran breaks out his British red coat for Taylor Swift’s Fourth of July party
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!