”It’s strange,” says Dutch-born saxophonist Candy Dulfer in the bio accompanying her debut album, Saxuality, ”sometimes when you try to do new things it can sound like something from the past.” Right — especially when the past is two weeks ago, you sound like snooze-king saxophonist Kenny G., and your record company presents you as a sax object. Along with the hit single ”Lily Was Here,” Dulfer’s syrupy blend of Fuzak and funk boasts nothing too horrific, and maybe even offers some irony: Dulfer funks up Miles Davis’ classic ”So What,” while Davis himself has lately preferred playing tunes by Michael Jackson and Cyndi Lauper. But so what? Though Dulfer’s appearance on Prince’s Graffiti Bridge album has been attributed to her two X chromosomes, that assumption is saxist (she has also horned in on Van Morrison, Pink Floyd, and Eurythmics’ David A. Stewart) and misses the point. Which is: ”Lily Was Here” is one catchy instrumental, but the rest of this routine funk looks better than it sounds. Candy, darling: Alto your approach. I can’t baritone more. C-
Saxuality''It's strange,'' says Dutch-born saxophonist Candy Dulfer in the bio accompanying her debut album, Saxuality, ''sometimes when you...SaxualityInstrumental''It's strange,'' says Dutch-born saxophonist Candy Dulfer in the bio accompanying her debut album, Saxuality, ''sometimes when you...1991-08-09
Genre: Instrumental; Lead Performer: Candy Dulfer; Producer (group): Arista
Posted August 9 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Being Mary Jane' season 3 gets premiere date, adds guest stars Loretta Devine and Jill Scott
- See the new trailer for Eli Roth's 'Knock Knock'
- Listen to Jesse Eisenberg read about Carmelo Anthony in 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- Nina Dobrev, Matt McGorry, and more advocate for sexual consent in 'It's On Us' campaign
- 'Survivor' players reveal whom they want out of the game first
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!