Those who still call rock & roll nothing but noise have a fairly valid point with these German loudspeaker shredders. Throughout the ’80s, the Berlin quintet (whose name means Collapsing New Buildings) has rattled music’s cage, deeming such items as power tools, kitchen utensils — even a shopping cart — valid and appropriate instruments for the postindustrial age. In Strategies Against Architecture II, an annotated two-CD retrospective (1984-‘90), rhythmic drones and deceptive silences are broken by chanted or spoken vocals, tape loops of audio verite (recordings of such sounds as dripping water and escaping steam), and bouts of pounding and scraping — a firmly organized assault of sound that can be both maddening and mesmerizing. Hard listening, to be sure, but a powerful and provocative soundtrack for pressurized urban existence. B
Strategies Against Architecture II Those who still call rock & roll nothing but noise have a fairly valid point with these German loudspeaker shredders. Throughout the '80s, the Berlin...Strategies Against Architecture IIRock Those who still call rock & roll nothing but noise have a fairly valid point with these German loudspeaker shredders. Throughout the '80s, the Berlin...1991-08-09
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Mute
Posted August 9 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!