Before turning up as a ”Showtime original,” this halfhearted attempt at a suspense thriller sat on the shelf for two years awaiting theatrical release, and it’s easy to see why: Since Black Rainbow reveals its shocking final plot twist in its first five minutes, the element of surprise in what follows is somewhat scarce. Rosanna Arquette plays Martha Travis, a revival-show medium who specializes in hearing voices from the beyond. Under the thumb of her alcoholic father, Walter (Jason Robards at his raspiest), she goes from town to town serving as ”God’s…telephone exchange” between the departed and the deluded. The movie fudges the issue of whether Martha is sincere or scamming, but when she starts ”seeing” the deaths of workers at a power plant before they happen, we’re supposed to take her very seriously. Arquette gives a solid performance, as does Robards, even when he has to chug from a flask and intone ”This is the real spirit world.” Too bad Walter has to die at the end — but then, you already knew that; Black Rainbow is about as exciting as a mystery novel whose last page comes first. D+
Black Rainbow Before turning up as a ''Showtime original,'' this halfhearted attempt at a suspense thriller sat on the shelf for two years awaiting theatrical...Black RainbowDrama, Thriller Before turning up as a ''Showtime original,'' this halfhearted attempt at a suspense thriller sat on the shelf for two years awaiting theatrical...1991-08-16
Genre: Drama, Thriller; Starring: Rosanna Arquette, Jason Robards
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!