Young M.C.’s new record, Brainstorm, is an icy shower. For an artist who sold over 2 million copies of his 1989 debut, Stone Cold Rhymin’, won several prestigious music awards, and leaped to a major label (after squirming out of a contract with independent Delicious Vinyl), this 24-year-old refuses to use his enviable clout to take artistic risks. Young M.C. is more technician than poet, preferring to string words together with a nimble tongue than show any passion: ”Do You Feel Like I Do,” a pleading declaration of love, sounds neither desperate nor lusty. Elsewhere, the album decays into a series of cute teenage tales and laughably facile anti-alcohol or anti-smoking sentiments. The one compelling moment comes on ”Listen to the Beat of the Music,” which contains a sensitive reflection on the homeless, layered over a pretty acoustic guitar. Young M.C. is surely capable of creating memorable music, but you won’t hear much of it here. C-
BrainstormYoung M.C.'s new record, Brainstorm, is an icy shower. For an artist who sold over 2 million copies of his 1989 debut, Stone Cold...BrainstormHip-Hop/RapYoung M.C.'s new record, Brainstorm, is an icy shower. For an artist who sold over 2 million copies of his 1989 debut, Stone Cold...1991-08-16
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Young M.C.; Producer (group): Capitol
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More