Young M.C.’s new record, Brainstorm, is an icy shower. For an artist who sold over 2 million copies of his 1989 debut, Stone Cold Rhymin’, won several prestigious music awards, and leaped to a major label (after squirming out of a contract with independent Delicious Vinyl), this 24-year-old refuses to use his enviable clout to take artistic risks. Young M.C. is more technician than poet, preferring to string words together with a nimble tongue than show any passion: ”Do You Feel Like I Do,” a pleading declaration of love, sounds neither desperate nor lusty. Elsewhere, the album decays into a series of cute teenage tales and laughably facile anti-alcohol or anti-smoking sentiments. The one compelling moment comes on ”Listen to the Beat of the Music,” which contains a sensitive reflection on the homeless, layered over a pretty acoustic guitar. Young M.C. is surely capable of creating memorable music, but you won’t hear much of it here. C-
BrainstormYoung M.C.'s new record, Brainstorm, is an icy shower. For an artist who sold over 2 million copies of his 1989 debut, Stone Cold...BrainstormHip-Hop/RapYoung M.C.'s new record, Brainstorm, is an icy shower. For an artist who sold over 2 million copies of his 1989 debut, Stone Cold...1991-08-16
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Young M.C.; Producer (group): Capitol
Posted August 16 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!