Keith Szarabajka mastered the gray look early — at 14 he played Grandma in Edward Albee’s The Sandbox at his Wisconsin boarding school. Now, says the 38-year-old actor, ”even my girlfriend (actress Jennifer Jay Stewart) likes me better as an old man,” which is lucky. Szarabajka has gone geriatric again to star in Stephen King’s Golden Years on CBS as Harlan Williams, a feisty 70- year-old janitor at a government lab who gets doused with a green goo that well, let’s just say it puts Grecian Formula to shame. ”This is the best part I’ve had since I played a dog in Sirens of Titan at (Chicago’s) Organic Theater,” adds the Oak Park, Ill., native, the son of a teacher and a financial officer. Szarabajka (he’s Irish, Polish, and Lithuanian) admits that in those days, college (at the University of Chicago) was ”a hobby” — he spent most of his time writing and performing with the likes of Joe Mantegna and John Heard. (His TV series debut was on CBS’ The Equalizer.) Though not a true King fan (”I started reading Cujo once, and it was too scary”), he gladly submitted to the six-hour makeup job needed for his role. ”I haven’t played an older part since high school. They hire me for these juvenile roles and I’m, like, wait a minute — I don’t understand all these young people!”
Posted August 16 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Juliette Lewis talks explosive 'Secrets and Lies' finale
- Tom Cruise joins the world of gods and monsters in 'The Mummy' trailer
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big