Enormously popular in pre-World War I Germany and Austria, Franz Schreker (1878-1934) saw his fame precipitously crash. By the mid-1920s, the music world had little use for the overripe romanticism of Schreker’s operas, with their lurid, mystical plots in which Freud and de Sade seem to dance arm-in-arm. Schreker, a Jew, was later forced off Germany’s stages by the Nazis and died in oblivion. As such things often go, Schreker is again on the ascent; the 1915 Die Gezeichneten (The Marked Women) is his third opera to show up on record in recent years, and the best-performed. The plot — rape, murder, and sybaritic orgies on an island called Elysium — is mere nuisance, but the richly scored, soaring music holds its own. Its honeyed opulence is not recommended, however, for the calorie-conscious. B+
Schreker: Die GezeichnetenEnormously popular in pre-World War I Germany and Austria, Franz Schreker (1878-1934) saw his fame precipitously crash. By the mid-1920s, the music...Schreker: Die GezeichnetenClassicalEnormously popular in pre-World War I Germany and Austria, Franz Schreker (1878-1934) saw his fame precipitously crash. By the mid-1920s, the music...1991-08-16
Genre: Classical; Lead Performers: William Cochran, Sigmund Cowan, Edo de Waart, Marilyn Schmiege; Producer (group): Marco Polo
Posted August 16 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 8 debut albums to get excited about this fall
- Salma Hayek was in a love triangle with two monkeys
- 11 duos who should host the 2016 Oscars
- See Bryan Cranston’s transformation into LBJ for HBO biopic
- 'The Good Wife' actor Dylan Baker tried to save his neighbor from a fire
- Samantha Bee's 'Full Frontal' to premiere in January: See first promo
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!