There’s good news and bad news about It Looks Could Kill, a in-and-out-of-the-theaters-in-a-flash spy spoof. The good news is that it’s perhaps the most enjoyable dumb movie you’ll see this year, a teen-comedy version of Hitchcock’s North by Northwest with spectacular stunts. The bad news is it could have been a really great dumb movie if only it weren’t a vehicle for Richard Grieco (Mobsters), a competent enough actor with puppyish charm. The plot here — American kid in France is mistaken for a CIA agent — would seem to call for a youngish Cary Grant type, and that kind of deft comic underplaying is not Grieco’s forte. But the gags are funny, the action rousing, and diminutive Linda Hunt does an homage to Lotte Lenya in From Russia With Love that is an utter hoot. Eminently rentable. B+
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy; Starring: Linda Hunt, Richard Grieco, Robin Bartlett, Roger Rees; Director: William Dear; Author: Darren Star; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 16 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'