There’s good news and bad news about It Looks Could Kill, a in-and-out-of-the-theaters-in-a-flash spy spoof. The good news is that it’s perhaps the most enjoyable dumb movie you’ll see this year, a teen-comedy version of Hitchcock’s North by Northwest with spectacular stunts. The bad news is it could have been a really great dumb movie if only it weren’t a vehicle for Richard Grieco (Mobsters), a competent enough actor with puppyish charm. The plot here — American kid in France is mistaken for a CIA agent — would seem to call for a youngish Cary Grant type, and that kind of deft comic underplaying is not Grieco’s forte. But the gags are funny, the action rousing, and diminutive Linda Hunt does an homage to Lotte Lenya in From Russia With Love that is an utter hoot. Eminently rentable. B+
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy; Starring: Linda Hunt, Richard Grieco, Robin Bartlett, Roger Rees; Director: William Dear; Author: Darren Star; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!