Joan Jett has long been a torchbearer for pure, no-frills rock & roll. So the fact that Notorious sounds basically the same as her other albums is almost the point. So what if ”The Only Good Thing” echoes her 1988 hit ”I Hate Myself for Loving You”? In both songs the music is all swagger and heart, with more crunchy riffs than the law should allow. A few signs do exist that Jett’s arms may be tiring from a decade of lugging the torch: She snarls less, sounds a tad more wistful, and spoils her version of the Runaways’ ”Wait For Me,” derailing her hard-rock train with intrusive Latin bongos right out of bad ’60s TV-theme music. Of course, even the softer Jett can still kick butt. She’s at her best on wailing glitter-rock anthems like ”Backlash,” written with the Replacements’ Paul Westerberg, who gives Jett slashing guitar lines and arena-rock choruses — just what you’d hope two true rock believers would create. B+
NotoriousJoan Jett has long been a torchbearer for pure, no-frills rock & roll. So the fact that Notorious sounds basically the same as her...NotoriousRockJoan Jett has long been a torchbearer for pure, no-frills rock & roll. So the fact that Notorious sounds basically the same as her...1991-08-16
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Blackheart
Posted August 16 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!