The Geto Boys are angry and defiant, and I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be. Last year, their major-label debut — stoked with vivid, violent images rivaling Bret Easton Ellis’ American Psycho — brought them unwelcome attention from would-be censors, finger-pointing from within the hip-hop community, and a refusal by Geffen Records to distribute their music (WEA picked up the album). Now, on the title track of We Can’t Be Stopped, their voices are urgent as, over a virtually naked rumbling bass, they cry: ”Can you believe those hypocrites/Would distribute Guns N’ Roses and not our s—/And they say we’re a racist act/ Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black?” They fall down attempting to re-create the comical, horrifying insight of last year’s ”Mind of a Lunatic” (which explored, rather than, as their critics thought, advocated murderous psychopathy). All they come up with is the boring ”Chuckie,” a look inside a familiar demon from horror flicks. Still, much of their new album stings, and their raw honesty has driven it onto the Billboard pop Top 40 — even though, in a replay of last year, WEA refused to distribute it, driving the group to an independent label. B
We Can't Be StoppedThe Geto Boys are angry and defiant, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. Last year, their major-label debut — stoked with vivid, violent...We Can't Be StoppedHip-Hop/RapThe Geto Boys are angry and defiant, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. Last year, their major-label debut — stoked with vivid, violent...1991-08-16
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (group): Priority, Rap-a-Lot
Posted August 16 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Macklemore brings 'White Privilege II' to 'Colbert'
- Samantha Bee makes Werner Herzog-style mini doc to mock Jeb Bush
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video