The Geto Boys are angry and defiant, and I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be. Last year, their major-label debut — stoked with vivid, violent images rivaling Bret Easton Ellis’ American Psycho — brought them unwelcome attention from would-be censors, finger-pointing from within the hip-hop community, and a refusal by Geffen Records to distribute their music (WEA picked up the album). Now, on the title track of We Can’t Be Stopped, their voices are urgent as, over a virtually naked rumbling bass, they cry: ”Can you believe those hypocrites/Would distribute Guns N’ Roses and not our s—/And they say we’re a racist act/ Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black?” They fall down attempting to re-create the comical, horrifying insight of last year’s ”Mind of a Lunatic” (which explored, rather than, as their critics thought, advocated murderous psychopathy). All they come up with is the boring ”Chuckie,” a look inside a familiar demon from horror flicks. Still, much of their new album stings, and their raw honesty has driven it onto the Billboard pop Top 40 — even though, in a replay of last year, WEA refused to distribute it, driving the group to an independent label. B
We Can't Be StoppedThe Geto Boys are angry and defiant, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. Last year, their major-label debut — stoked with vivid, violent...We Can't Be StoppedHip-Hop/RapThe Geto Boys are angry and defiant, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. Last year, their major-label debut — stoked with vivid, violent...1991-08-16
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (group): Priority, Rap-a-Lot
Posted August 16 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- How the new Oscar producers plan to change the show (and make it shorter)
- 'Batmetal Returns' to cover Dethklok, and destroy some of your favorite cartoon characters
- Cute 10-year-old girl stymies NFL stars with great questions
- Ansel Elgort to star in '80s CIA drama 'Code Name Veil'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!