Boyz N The Hood burns with John Singlenton’s fierce but uncompromising commitment to his community’s survival. The film’s soundtrack similarly simmers with his (and music supervisor Raoul Roach’s) love for hardcore hip-hop, the kind of rap heard at parties or on the street but not often enough on pop radio. This collection kicks off with rapper-turned-movie-star Ice Cube’s funk-laden primer on getting through the day, ”How to Survive in South Central.” (Hot tip: ”Get yourself a gun.”) Better yet, check out ”Mamma Don’t Take No Mess,” Yo-Yo’s ode to the woman who raised her with a warm heart and a firm hand, or ”Just a Friendly Game of Baseball,” Main Source’s cry against police brutality. Alongside this fiery rap are hot R&B songs by Quincy Jones protégé Tevin Campbell and newcomers Force One Network. One the smoke clears, the soundtrack closes with two absolutely gorgeous jazzy ballads, one by Quincy Jones (featuring the late Sarah Vaughan and Take 6) and one by Stanley Clark. A
Boyz N the Hood Boyz N The Hood burns with John Singlenton's fierce but uncompromising commitment to his community's survival. The film's soundtrack...Boyz N the HoodHip-Hop/Rap Boyz N The Hood burns with John Singlenton's fierce but uncompromising commitment to his community's survival. The film's soundtrack...1991-08-23
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted August 23 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!