Part of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and ’60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by the Navy in 1966 as etiquette guides for officer candidates. Both films compare the behavior of a Midshipman Right with that of a Midshipman Wrong as they try to navigate uncharted social waters and reach safe harbor without running aground on Faux Pax Beach — taking their dates to restaurants, movie theaters, small parties, large social functions, and private dinners. While unmistakably — and unsurprisingly — sexist by contemporary standards, the witty and inventive productions mostly prove that ”good manners” are simply acts of consideration. (Tips also includes a late-’40s teen-dating film that is marginally interesting as a social curio.) B+
Classic Dating TipsPart of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and '60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by...Classic Dating TipsDocumentary, Historical, RomanceUnratedPart of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and '60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by...1991-08-23Worldwide Home Video
Genre: Documentary, Historical, Romance; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Worldwide Home Video
Posted August 23 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC announces casting call for Dorothy in 'The Wiz Live!'
- Here's who Andy Serkis will play in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'...
- 'Point Break' is hosting a Battle of the Bands for an 'extreme' soundtrack anthem
- 'Urban Cowboy' remake in the works at FOX
- Aunt Becky is back for 'Fuller House'
- Who wants to have a sleepover in Conan O'Brien's studio?
- Amy Schumer shuts down rumors of a 'Bachelorette' meeting