Part of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and ’60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by the Navy in 1966 as etiquette guides for officer candidates. Both films compare the behavior of a Midshipman Right with that of a Midshipman Wrong as they try to navigate uncharted social waters and reach safe harbor without running aground on Faux Pax Beach — taking their dates to restaurants, movie theaters, small parties, large social functions, and private dinners. While unmistakably — and unsurprisingly — sexist by contemporary standards, the witty and inventive productions mostly prove that ”good manners” are simply acts of consideration. (Tips also includes a late-’40s teen-dating film that is marginally interesting as a social curio.) B+
Classic Dating TipsPart of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and '60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by...Classic Dating TipsDocumentary, Historical, RomanceUnratedPart of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and '60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by...1991-08-23Worldwide Home Video
Genre: Documentary, Historical, Romance; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Worldwide Home Video
Posted August 23 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Rogue One' trailer gets 'Friends' treatment in mash-up video
- Drake sent Rihanna a message... on a billboard
- Twitter challenges users to #MakeASongTitleLonger
- Viola Davis opens up about struggling with childhood hunger in PSA
- NBC developing Noah's Ark... in space!
- Edward Snowden appearing live via satellite for 'Snowden' screening
- Joe Biden compares U.S. foreign policy to 'Ghostbusters'