Part of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and ’60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by the Navy in 1966 as etiquette guides for officer candidates. Both films compare the behavior of a Midshipman Right with that of a Midshipman Wrong as they try to navigate uncharted social waters and reach safe harbor without running aground on Faux Pax Beach — taking their dates to restaurants, movie theaters, small parties, large social functions, and private dinners. While unmistakably — and unsurprisingly — sexist by contemporary standards, the witty and inventive productions mostly prove that ”good manners” are simply acts of consideration. (Tips also includes a late-’40s teen-dating film that is marginally interesting as a social curio.) B+
Classic Dating TipsPart of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and '60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by...Classic Dating TipsDocumentary, Historical, RomanceUnratedPart of a new series of repackaged U.S. government films from the 1950s and '60s, Classic Dating Tips offers two featurettes produced by...1991-08-23Worldwide Home Video
Genre: Documentary, Historical, Romance; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Worldwide Home Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Game of Thrones,' 'SHIELD,' 'Arrow' and more
- Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to collaborate with Steve McQueen on heist thriller
- 'Sherlock' season 4 details: 'Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval'
- 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone' illustrated edition cover art revealed
- 'Castle' sneak peek: Did Beckett and Castle just dig their own graves?
- Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst reminds everyone he is not Robert Durst
- Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool...on a bearskin rug: 'With great power, comes great irresponsibility'
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!