By naming her new album Straight Outta Hell’s Kitchen — a funny takeoff on Straight Outta Compton by the infamous rap posse N.W.A — Latin pop-dance star Lisa Lisa apparently wants to let us know she’s up on what’s hip. For the first half of the album, she hired the trendy C+C Music Factory, who subordinate her big voice to their skiddy funk beats and retro-gospel climaxes. C+C’s mixes don’t allow much room for personality, though, between the hot salsa, hot ‘n’ heavy breathing, and the rain shower that opens the sad ”Don’t Say Goodbye.” On the album’s second half, Lisa’s longtime production pals Full Force construct an even trendier collage, complete with jazz and African music, unexplained conversation, and a radio playing Lisa’s old hits. It’s her voice — more powerful than ever — that ties all this together. By balancing lush lullabies like ”Forever” and ”Sensuality” with rockers like ”Let It Go,” Lisa makes sure the montage doesn’t come off disjointed or cold. B+
Straight Outta Hell's Kitchen By naming her new album Straight Outta Hell's Kitchen — a funny takeoff on Straight Outta Compton by the infamous rap...Straight Outta Hell's KitchenPop, Hip-Hop/Rap By naming her new album Straight Outta Hell's Kitchen — a funny takeoff on Straight Outta Compton by the infamous rap...1991-08-23
Genre: Pop, Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Lisa Lisa
Posted August 23 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!