By naming her new album Straight Outta Hell’s Kitchen — a funny takeoff on Straight Outta Compton by the infamous rap posse N.W.A — Latin pop-dance star Lisa Lisa apparently wants to let us know she’s up on what’s hip. For the first half of the album, she hired the trendy C+C Music Factory, who subordinate her big voice to their skiddy funk beats and retro-gospel climaxes. C+C’s mixes don’t allow much room for personality, though, between the hot salsa, hot ‘n’ heavy breathing, and the rain shower that opens the sad ”Don’t Say Goodbye.” On the album’s second half, Lisa’s longtime production pals Full Force construct an even trendier collage, complete with jazz and African music, unexplained conversation, and a radio playing Lisa’s old hits. It’s her voice — more powerful than ever — that ties all this together. By balancing lush lullabies like ”Forever” and ”Sensuality” with rockers like ”Let It Go,” Lisa makes sure the montage doesn’t come off disjointed or cold. B+
Straight Outta Hell's Kitchen By naming her new album Straight Outta Hell's Kitchen — a funny takeoff on Straight Outta Compton by the infamous rap...Straight Outta Hell's KitchenPop, Hip-Hop/Rap By naming her new album Straight Outta Hell's Kitchen — a funny takeoff on Straight Outta Compton by the infamous rap...1991-08-23
Genre: Pop, Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Lisa Lisa
Posted August 23 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Tyler Perry shares touching tribute from Bobbi Kristina Brown's funeral
- See Hugh Jackman bring back the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- See Beyoncé birthday wishes from Gwyneth Paltrow, Blue Ivy, and more
- See Kevin Bacon's sweet anniversary tribute to Kyra Sedgwick
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!