Don’t be fooled by Halle Berry’s résumé, which reflects the typical evolution of an American bombshell: cheerleader, prom queen, first runner-up for Miss USA 1986. From the looks of it, it seemed only a matter of time before the 23-year-old actress would progress to a starring role in, say, Spring Break: The Final Chapter. Instead, Berry, a broadcast journalism major at Cuyahoga Community College in her native Cleveland, made her movie debut as a foulmouthed crackhead in Spike Lee’s Jungle Fever. ”I wanted to do a film first that would prove that I really am an actress,” she says, ”so I wouldn’t get stereotyped right off as just another pretty face.” To play a junkie, Berry talked to about 80 recovering addicts and even toured crackhouses with an undercover officer. ”It was a real stretch for me,” she says. But don’t expect her to be typecast now. She’ll next play an ambitious downtown club kid in the fall comedy romance Strictly Business and an exotic dancer opposite Bruce Willis in the Christmas action flick The Last Boy Scout. One thing’s for sure: This beauty queen is no dope.
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!