Don’t be fooled by Halle Berry’s résumé, which reflects the typical evolution of an American bombshell: cheerleader, prom queen, first runner-up for Miss USA 1986. From the looks of it, it seemed only a matter of time before the 23-year-old actress would progress to a starring role in, say, Spring Break: The Final Chapter. Instead, Berry, a broadcast journalism major at Cuyahoga Community College in her native Cleveland, made her movie debut as a foulmouthed crackhead in Spike Lee’s Jungle Fever. ”I wanted to do a film first that would prove that I really am an actress,” she says, ”so I wouldn’t get stereotyped right off as just another pretty face.” To play a junkie, Berry talked to about 80 recovering addicts and even toured crackhouses with an undercover officer. ”It was a real stretch for me,” she says. But don’t expect her to be typecast now. She’ll next play an ambitious downtown club kid in the fall comedy romance Strictly Business and an exotic dancer opposite Bruce Willis in the Christmas action flick The Last Boy Scout. One thing’s for sure: This beauty queen is no dope.
Posted August 30 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!