Don’t be fooled by Halle Berry’s résumé, which reflects the typical evolution of an American bombshell: cheerleader, prom queen, first runner-up for Miss USA 1986. From the looks of it, it seemed only a matter of time before the 23-year-old actress would progress to a starring role in, say, Spring Break: The Final Chapter. Instead, Berry, a broadcast journalism major at Cuyahoga Community College in her native Cleveland, made her movie debut as a foulmouthed crackhead in Spike Lee’s Jungle Fever. ”I wanted to do a film first that would prove that I really am an actress,” she says, ”so I wouldn’t get stereotyped right off as just another pretty face.” To play a junkie, Berry talked to about 80 recovering addicts and even toured crackhouses with an undercover officer. ”It was a real stretch for me,” she says. But don’t expect her to be typecast now. She’ll next play an ambitious downtown club kid in the fall comedy romance Strictly Business and an exotic dancer opposite Bruce Willis in the Christmas action flick The Last Boy Scout. One thing’s for sure: This beauty queen is no dope.
Posted August 30 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: Here's your exclusive first look at 'Project Runway' season 15
- Marvel Tsum Tsums go from plush to digital in new mobile game
- Chris Pratt explains his 'Magnificent Seven' character
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Jim Broadbent in first season 7 role
- 'Pretty Little Liars': The latest victim speaks!
- 'Captain America: Civil War' among new items on iTunes in September
- The Voice's Dia Frampton shares career struggle in heartbreaking essay
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall