A decade after starring in Dreamgirls, Jennifer Holliday remains a singer without identity. She’s making headway in her campaign to shout and growl like an Aretha Franklin-style R&B belter, rather than theatrically over-enunciating like a show singer. But in I’m on Your Side, not even the ‘Retha-esque ”I’m on Your Side” and ”Raise the Roof” can survive their overstuffed arrangements. This affliction is common among Arista artists whose records are supervised by label president Clive Davis, music’s best-known executive producer. On these records, no track is ever too plush, no lyric ever too banal. That yields about what you’d expect: music that sounds like the work of an executive rather than an artist. Such records are mainly boring, but when all the flaws fit together just right, as on Holliday’s ”Guilty” and ”Is It Love,” they become a kind of hack’s self-parody. C-
I'm On Your SideA decade after starring in Dreamgirls, Jennifer Holliday remains a singer without identity. She's making headway in her campaign to shout and...I'm On Your SideR&BA decade after starring in Dreamgirls, Jennifer Holliday remains a singer without identity. She's making headway in her campaign to shout and...1991-08-30
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Jennifer Holliday; Producer (group): Arista
Posted August 30 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'NCIS: LA' sneak peek: Callen is going rogue
- 'Hindsight' canceled by VH1
- Listen to 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical' cast sing 'California'
- Ellen Page says it's 'borderline offensive' to call actors brave for playing LGBTQ roles
- How 'Hannibal' was 'The Sopranos'
- Everything you need to know about 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!