In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he might as well be talking to a gavel. Cusack plays the kind of guy who’d betray his best pal for a shot at Congress — and does. This recycled scenario is as old as Manhattan Melodrama — one pal becomes a saint, the other a rat — but True Colors is still worth a look for its enjoyably familiar clichés. Would that director Herbert Ross (The Goodbye Girl) had trusted the durable plot and used a straightforward style. Practically every scene is fussed over, picked at, and tricked up. The movie does have the gifted Spader, superb in the thankless role of the Good One. The lightweight Cusack, however, doesn’t have the authority to play an incipient demagogue. His juvenile performance turns True Colors hopelessly monochromatic. C+
True Colors In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he...True ColorsDramaKevin WadeR In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he...1991-08-30Dina MerrillMandy PatinkinPhilip BoscoRichard WidmarkDina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard WidmarkParamount Home Video
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Cusack, James Spader, Dina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard Widmark; Director: Herbert Ross; Author: Kevin Wade; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted August 30 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cannes 2015: Jacques Audiard's 'Dheepan' wins the Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!