In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he might as well be talking to a gavel. Cusack plays the kind of guy who’d betray his best pal for a shot at Congress — and does. This recycled scenario is as old as Manhattan Melodrama — one pal becomes a saint, the other a rat — but True Colors is still worth a look for its enjoyably familiar clichés. Would that director Herbert Ross (The Goodbye Girl) had trusted the durable plot and used a straightforward style. Practically every scene is fussed over, picked at, and tricked up. The movie does have the gifted Spader, superb in the thankless role of the Good One. The lightweight Cusack, however, doesn’t have the authority to play an incipient demagogue. His juvenile performance turns True Colors hopelessly monochromatic. C+
True Colors In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he...True ColorsDramaKevin WadeR In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he...1991-08-30Dina MerrillMandy PatinkinPhilip BoscoRichard WidmarkDina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard WidmarkParamount Home Video
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Cusack, James Spader, Dina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard Widmark; Director: Herbert Ross; Author: Kevin Wade; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' dream sequence
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!