In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he might as well be talking to a gavel. Cusack plays the kind of guy who’d betray his best pal for a shot at Congress — and does. This recycled scenario is as old as Manhattan Melodrama — one pal becomes a saint, the other a rat — but True Colors is still worth a look for its enjoyably familiar clichés. Would that director Herbert Ross (The Goodbye Girl) had trusted the durable plot and used a straightforward style. Practically every scene is fussed over, picked at, and tricked up. The movie does have the gifted Spader, superb in the thankless role of the Good One. The lightweight Cusack, however, doesn’t have the authority to play an incipient demagogue. His juvenile performance turns True Colors hopelessly monochromatic. C+
True Colors In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he...True ColorsDramaKevin WadeR In True Colors, when idealistic lawyer James Spader explains to his law school buddy John Cusack how doing good feels so liberating, he...1991-08-30Dina MerrillMandy PatinkinPhilip BoscoRichard WidmarkDina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard WidmarkParamount Home Video
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Cusack, James Spader, Dina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard Widmark; Director: Herbert Ross; Author: Kevin Wade; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted August 30 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday