By 1983, when this concert was shot, a performance by the surpassingly lyrical tenor saxophonist Stan Getz (who died this past June) invariably combined cool ballads, cerebral modern pieces composed by his pianist, Jim McNeely, and a perfunctory nod to his monster bossa nova hits of 20 years earlier, ”Desafinado” and ”The Girl From Ipanema.” Stan Getz, Volume 1, played in the open air of California’s wine country, is uneven — Getz seems dispirited for much of Volume 2. There are fine moments, though: McNeely’s waltz ”From the Heart” and Miles Davis’ ”Sippin’ at Bells” on the first volume and Billy Strayhorn’s ”Lush Life” and ”Blood Count” on the second. Sadly, the presentation is marred by nervous editing that bleeds one image into another, never letting you see anything for more than a few seconds. Another debit: Since the music totals about 100 minutes, this concert easily could have been contained on one cassette. B
Vintage Getz, Volume 1 By 1983, when this concert was shot, a performance by the surpassingly lyrical tenor saxophonist Stan Getz (who died this past June) invariably...Vintage Getz, Volume 1Musical By 1983, when this concert was shot, a performance by the surpassingly lyrical tenor saxophonist Stan Getz (who died this past June) invariably...1991-08-30A*VISION
Genre: Musical; Distributor: A*VISION
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!