Unlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the adolescent psyche, Seattle’s Soundgarden can make a teen momentarily sit still in wonder. In Badmotorfinger, a typical melody consists of one long elegant guitar note that swoops slowly up and down the chromatic scale, as fluid as the new model android in Terminator 2. On songs like the cynical ”Jesus Christ Pose” and ”Slaves and Bulldozers,” Soundgarden sound a hell of a lot smarter than their peers, who seldom get beyond extolling booze, girls, and cars. As on 1989’s Louder Than Love, singer Chris Cornell’s intense, wailing voice is laid over the kind of sticky-slow bottom that only surburban white boys can really get right. But the final effect is merely stylishly bombastic rather than bludgeoningly bombastic. Tuneless heavy metal is, after all, still tuneless heavy metal, and in that department, Soundgarden are as functional as they make ‘em. B+
BadmotorfingerUnlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the...BadmotorfingerRockUnlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the...1991-09-27
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): A&M
Posted September 27 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!