Unlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the adolescent psyche, Seattle’s Soundgarden can make a teen momentarily sit still in wonder. In Badmotorfinger, a typical melody consists of one long elegant guitar note that swoops slowly up and down the chromatic scale, as fluid as the new model android in Terminator 2. On songs like the cynical ”Jesus Christ Pose” and ”Slaves and Bulldozers,” Soundgarden sound a hell of a lot smarter than their peers, who seldom get beyond extolling booze, girls, and cars. As on 1989’s Louder Than Love, singer Chris Cornell’s intense, wailing voice is laid over the kind of sticky-slow bottom that only surburban white boys can really get right. But the final effect is merely stylishly bombastic rather than bludgeoningly bombastic. Tuneless heavy metal is, after all, still tuneless heavy metal, and in that department, Soundgarden are as functional as they make ‘em. B+
BadmotorfingerUnlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the...BadmotorfingerRockUnlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the...1991-09-27
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): A&M
Posted September 27 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!