Unlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the adolescent psyche, Seattle’s Soundgarden can make a teen momentarily sit still in wonder. In Badmotorfinger, a typical melody consists of one long elegant guitar note that swoops slowly up and down the chromatic scale, as fluid as the new model android in Terminator 2. On songs like the cynical ”Jesus Christ Pose” and ”Slaves and Bulldozers,” Soundgarden sound a hell of a lot smarter than their peers, who seldom get beyond extolling booze, girls, and cars. As on 1989’s Louder Than Love, singer Chris Cornell’s intense, wailing voice is laid over the kind of sticky-slow bottom that only surburban white boys can really get right. But the final effect is merely stylishly bombastic rather than bludgeoningly bombastic. Tuneless heavy metal is, after all, still tuneless heavy metal, and in that department, Soundgarden are as functional as they make ‘em. B+
BadmotorfingerUnlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the...BadmotorfingerRockUnlike its heavy-metal forebears, whose clearly utilitarian function in the rock & roll schema is to cause serious headbanging upon contact with the...1991-09-27
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): A&M
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Wilco protests Indiana law, nixes concert
- Oxygen, Esquire Network partner on companion series 'Living With Funny,' 'Comedians of L.A.'
- 'The Flash': Mark Hamill on reprising Trickster role, bringing out epic 'Star Wars' nod
- Disney eyes live-action 'Mulan' film
- Trans stories find a home on reality TV following Orange is the New Black, Transparent success
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!