L.A.’s Red Hot Chili Peppers are a nuclear-strength novelty band, funk division. At their best, live on a stage, they’re fast, funny, loud, and unrelenting, as well-named a group as you can imagine. (They’ve been known to play shows wearing only socks — and not, ahem, on their feet.) Unfortunately, this sort of stuff, even at its best, doesn’t translate well to record. There’s no way to convey aurally how preternaturally bouncy bassist Flea and mischievous singer Anthony Kiedis attack a song. Blood Sugar Sex Magik has the band opting for a little seriousness; the ballad ”Breaking the Girl” sounds somewhat disapproving of the band’s usual Red Hot antics and ”Under the Bridge” has fancy-shmancy touches. Elsewhere, the band members are their usual fast, funny, loud, and unrelenting selves. B-
Blood Sugar Sex MagikL.A.'s Red Hot Chili Peppers are a nuclear-strength novelty band, funk division. At their best, live on a stage, they're fast, funny, loud, and...Blood Sugar Sex MagikRockL.A.'s Red Hot Chili Peppers are a nuclear-strength novelty band, funk division. At their best, live on a stage, they're fast, funny, loud, and...1991-09-27
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Red Hot Chili Peppers; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!