I have some teenage friends in Washington State whose idea of a good time is standing at the Canadian border and yelling ”get a culture” at the motorists on the other side. Surely Ontario’s Bryan Adams should take their advice. He’s made a profitable career of culling American music for the easiest of its hard-rock clichés, most recently with his triple-platinum song from Robin Hood, ”(Everything I Do) I Do It for You).” Adams’ first studio LP in four years, the incredibly tuneful Waking Up the Neighbours, uses every surefire hit-single formula known to mankind, but it’s so smooth it lacks all personality. And, except on his recent big hit, Adams is startlingly unromantic. He has all the soul of a sentimental green cheese. A typical chorus goes ”I’m not guilty, cross my heart” — as if love were a crime, with the lady at fault, of course. He whines at one point, ”Do I have to tell the truth?” And on the worst offender, ”Hey Honey, I’m Packin’ You In,” he complains about every single aspect of his live-in love, including her cooking — and then blames her for his having gained weight. What a creep! B-
Waking Up the NeighboursI have some teenage friends in Washington State whose idea of a good time is standing at the Canadian border and yelling ''get a culture'' at the...Waking Up the NeighboursRockI have some teenage friends in Washington State whose idea of a good time is standing at the Canadian border and yelling ''get a culture'' at the...1991-09-27
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Bryan Adams; Producer (group): A&M
Posted September 27 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!