I have some teenage friends in Washington State whose idea of a good time is standing at the Canadian border and yelling ”get a culture” at the motorists on the other side. Surely Ontario’s Bryan Adams should take their advice. He’s made a profitable career of culling American music for the easiest of its hard-rock clichés, most recently with his triple-platinum song from Robin Hood, ”(Everything I Do) I Do It for You).” Adams’ first studio LP in four years, the incredibly tuneful Waking Up the Neighbours, uses every surefire hit-single formula known to mankind, but it’s so smooth it lacks all personality. And, except on his recent big hit, Adams is startlingly unromantic. He has all the soul of a sentimental green cheese. A typical chorus goes ”I’m not guilty, cross my heart” — as if love were a crime, with the lady at fault, of course. He whines at one point, ”Do I have to tell the truth?” And on the worst offender, ”Hey Honey, I’m Packin’ You In,” he complains about every single aspect of his live-in love, including her cooking — and then blames her for his having gained weight. What a creep! B-
Waking Up the NeighboursI have some teenage friends in Washington State whose idea of a good time is standing at the Canadian border and yelling ''get a culture'' at the...Waking Up the NeighboursRockI have some teenage friends in Washington State whose idea of a good time is standing at the Canadian border and yelling ''get a culture'' at the...1991-09-27
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Bryan Adams; Producer (group): A&M
Posted September 27 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!