Through nine of Lawrence Block’s grim, skillful urban mysteries, private detective Matthew Scudder has evolved into the perfect noir hero for the age of recovery and codependency. He’s a faithful member of AA whose investigations take him into one inviting gin mill after another, and a stone-souled, not-quite-traditional male who doesn’t want his girlfriend to work. (He has a point — she’s a prostitute.) In A Dance at the Slaughterhouse, Block sends Scudder into the dank realms of boxing and pornography with two investigations, one seeking the director of a snuff film, the other tracking a wife murderer. The way the stories converge, as you know they must, is almost as enjoyable as the painterly touch the author brings to his street-lit depiction of the bars, alleys, and gutters of New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen. Despite an overreaching finale in which blood and melodrama flow by the bucketful, Slaughterhouse should only add to the reputation of Block’s series and its smart, sorrowful protagonist. B+
A Dance at the Slaughterhouse Through nine of Lawrence Block's grim, skillful urban mysteries, private detective Matthew Scudder has evolved into the perfect noir hero for the age...A Dance at the SlaughterhouseMystery and Thriller, FictionLawrence Block Through nine of Lawrence Block's grim, skillful urban mysteries, private detective Matthew Scudder has evolved into the perfect noir hero for the age...1991-10-04Morrow
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Lawrence Block; Publisher: Morrow
Posted October 4 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Daily Show' adds three new correspondents for Trevor Noah
- E! to air Joan Rivers tribute on one-year anniversary of her death
- See Nicole Scherzinger lose her mind over some 'freak of nature' magic
- 'You're the Worst' snags Echo Kellum in season 2
- President Obama documents his 'Running Wild' trip with Bear Grylls in selfies
- 'Are You The One?' season 3 trailer: See the new twist in action
- Theo Rossi joins 'Luke Cage' cast, Rosario Dawson will return as Claire Temple
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!