They’re hardly your typical jingle singers, but the African a cappella group Mukulu hit the right note with Dannon Yogurt. Dannon’s rep at Grey Advertising, Richard Mendoza, received a tape of the 10-member Ugandan group and decided that its smooth harmonies went well with the company’s new fat- free ”Dannon blended.” Mukulu’s commercial for Dannon broke in the spring in the Northeast and will begin airing in other markets this fall. Alex Mukulu, the group’s 38-year-old leader, who engineered its small U.S. tour earlier this year, is looking to tour again — this time as the opening act for Amy Grant. He’s also negotiating for an American record contract, with help from manager Bob Farnsworth of Nashville’s Hummingbird Productions. Of course, in live performances the group will sing its more usual ”Bukedde bulungi” (”It’s dawn, a good dawn”) rather than the ”smooth and white, creamy, cool” sentiments it mouths for Dannon. Although only a few of Mukulu’s songs are in English, Farnsworth thinks audiences will get the message anyway. ”Their music is detailed and intricate but really upbeat,” he says. ”When you listen to it, you think that all is right with the world.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!