Lurking beneath director-writer Blake Edwards’ superficially obvious romantic comedy is a deeply ironic vision. In Switch, after Don Juan Steve Brooks (Perry King) gets murdered by three abused ex-lovers, he’s sent back to earth in the body of shapely blond bombshell Amanda Brooks (Ellen Barkin). To earn his passage into heaven, Brooks must find just one single female who likes him. Barkin brings wry flair to the macho-man-trapped-in-a-woman’s body shtick, with the all-man Jimmy Smits along as his/her oh-so-subtle love interest. In short, Edwards has hit on the perfect video rental compromise, with something to entice both sexes. B+
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Ellen Barkin, Jimmy Smits, Lorraine Bracco, JoBeth Williams, Perry King, Tony Roberts; Director: Blake Edwards; Author: Blake Edwards; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted October 4 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- Lee Daniels goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Harris Wittels' cause of death confirmed to be accidental overdose
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!