Lurking beneath director-writer Blake Edwards’ superficially obvious romantic comedy is a deeply ironic vision. In Switch, after Don Juan Steve Brooks (Perry King) gets murdered by three abused ex-lovers, he’s sent back to earth in the body of shapely blond bombshell Amanda Brooks (Ellen Barkin). To earn his passage into heaven, Brooks must find just one single female who likes him. Barkin brings wry flair to the macho-man-trapped-in-a-woman’s body shtick, with the all-man Jimmy Smits along as his/her oh-so-subtle love interest. In short, Edwards has hit on the perfect video rental compromise, with something to entice both sexes. B+
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Ellen Barkin, Jimmy Smits, Lorraine Bracco, JoBeth Williams, Perry King, Tony Roberts; Director: Blake Edwards; Author: Blake Edwards; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted October 4 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Killer POV' lives! Horror podcast team reassembles as 'Shock Waves'
- Arsenio Hall refutes Sinead O'Connor charge that he gave Prince drugs
- 'Bates Motel': Kerry Ehrin, Freddie Highmore on Monday's episode
- Kristen Stewart, Gabourey Sidibe to direct short films for Refinery29
- 'DWTS': Nyle DiMarco just got robbed of a 10... again
- Bono joins Lupita Nyong'o, 'Eclipsed' cast to remember kidnapped girls
- Anthony Mackie to play Johnnie Cochran in legal drama
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters