Lurking beneath director-writer Blake Edwards’ superficially obvious romantic comedy is a deeply ironic vision. In Switch, after Don Juan Steve Brooks (Perry King) gets murdered by three abused ex-lovers, he’s sent back to earth in the body of shapely blond bombshell Amanda Brooks (Ellen Barkin). To earn his passage into heaven, Brooks must find just one single female who likes him. Barkin brings wry flair to the macho-man-trapped-in-a-woman’s body shtick, with the all-man Jimmy Smits along as his/her oh-so-subtle love interest. In short, Edwards has hit on the perfect video rental compromise, with something to entice both sexes. B+
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Ellen Barkin, Jimmy Smits, Lorraine Bracco, JoBeth Williams, Perry King, Tony Roberts; Director: Blake Edwards; Author: Blake Edwards; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted October 4 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bill Murray is getting his own Netflix Christmas special
- Margaret Atwood talks Twitter Fiction and near-genius hashtags
- 'Hunger Games' photo portraits: EW exclusive First Look at upcoming book
- Keanu Reeves gets terrorized in new 'Knock Knock' trailer
- TLC airs '19 Kids and Counting' marathon after Josh Duggar child molestation allegations
- 'Tomorrowland' production designer on how to build a futuristic city from yesterday's dreams
- Jimmy Fallon and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson give a commencement speech... in 1989
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!