Lurking beneath director-writer Blake Edwards’ superficially obvious romantic comedy is a deeply ironic vision. In Switch, after Don Juan Steve Brooks (Perry King) gets murdered by three abused ex-lovers, he’s sent back to earth in the body of shapely blond bombshell Amanda Brooks (Ellen Barkin). To earn his passage into heaven, Brooks must find just one single female who likes him. Barkin brings wry flair to the macho-man-trapped-in-a-woman’s body shtick, with the all-man Jimmy Smits along as his/her oh-so-subtle love interest. In short, Edwards has hit on the perfect video rental compromise, with something to entice both sexes. B+
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Ellen Barkin, Jimmy Smits, Lorraine Bracco, JoBeth Williams, Perry King, Tony Roberts; Director: Blake Edwards; Author: Blake Edwards; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted October 4 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!