First produced on Broadway in 1956 and closed as a flop d’estime after 73 performances, Candide may someday gain its rightful place as the best of all possible Leonard Bernstein stage works. Exuberant, ambitious, and shamelessly eclectic, the score has gone through more trials than Voltaire’s troubled hero, whose story it tells. After the show’s Broadway demise, Lillian Hellman refused to change a jot of her leaden book; attempts to rework the piece resulted in a series of further disasters, culminating in Harold Prince’s 1982 monster overstaging for the New York City Opera. The good news on this December 1989 recording, which has Bernstein conducting his score for the first time, is that it wipes out 35 years of tampering by restoring more of the pristine score than has ever been played at one time. The middling news is that the new cast of opera luminaries — fresh-voiced Jerry Hadley as Candide, June Anderson as a prima donna Cunegonde, and veteran Wagnerian Christa Ludwig as an antic Old Lady (plus longtime Bernstein sidekick Adolph Green as the Voltaire stand-in, Dr. Pangloss) — doesn’t erase memories of the original-cast recording, with Barbara Cook’s delirious Cunegonde (still, praise be, available). And now the bad news: As on Deutsche Grammophon’s 1985 Bernstein-led West Side Story, the major liability is the maestro’s own conducting, which is pathetically unable to revive the romping high spirits that were his when Candide was new. B-
CandideFirst produced on Broadway in 1956 and closed as a flop d'estime after 73 performances, Candide may someday gain its rightful place as...CandideClassical, SoundtracksFirst produced on Broadway in 1956 and closed as a flop d'estime after 73 performances, Candide may someday gain its rightful place as...1991-10-11
Genre: Classical, Soundtracks; Lead Performers: Adolph Green, Jerry Hadley, June Anderson, Leonard Bernstein, Christa Ludwig; Producer (group): Deutsche Grammophon
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- Pentangle founding member John Renbourn dies at 70
- Taylor Swift is one of the 'World's Greatest Leaders,' according to 'Fortune'
- Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
- 'It Follows' star says response to film has been 'crazy'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!