The Cult’s Ian Astbury once told me he hated This Is Spinal Tap because the 1984 film forced heavy-metal bands to feel self-conscious about the innate idiocy of their genre. Happily, Astbury doesn’t suffer from self-consciousness when he sings variations on the lyrics ”Baybee-baybee-baybeeee”; that’s why he’s so convincing. (In Astbury’s simplistic lexicon, all women are either babies, sistas, or mamas, while men get to be wild-hearted sons.) Ceremony, sounding much like the group’s 1989 smash Sonic Temple, is full of more brilliant variations on the theme, as well as Astbury’s familiar Native American motif: He used to paint his pale face red and wear the headdress of a chief. Here, on songs like ”Earth Mofo” and ”Indian,” the conceit rides the lyrics of the Cult’s patented blues-metal stomps (created by Astbury’s partner, guitarist, and fellow Led Zeppelin enthusiast Billy Duffy). The equally compelling ballads on Ceremony all have lengthy acoustic-guitar intros that lead up to Astbury’s ever more intense caterwauling about such primal themes as love, hate, betrayal, and ritual sacrifice. Freud would have a field day with all this, but then it’s probably these timeless, Oedipal topics that make the Cult so amusing. B
CeremonyThe Cult's Ian Astbury once told me he hated This Is Spinal Tap because the 1984 film forced heavy-metal bands to feel self-conscious about the...CeremonyRockThe Cult's Ian Astbury once told me he hated This Is Spinal Tap because the 1984 film forced heavy-metal bands to feel self-conscious about the...1991-10-11
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Reprise Records, Sire
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Gotham' sneak peek: Barbara and Jerome cross paths in Arkham
- Uber offering free 'Mad Max: Fury Road'-themed rides in Seattle
- How the faith-based drama 'War Room' became a sleeper hit
- 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical': Ranking the musical numbers
- A fourth-grade teacher turned his classroom into the ultimate Kanye West tribute
- Wes Craven: A horror legend who pushed limits
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!