The Cult’s Ian Astbury once told me he hated This Is Spinal Tap because the 1984 film forced heavy-metal bands to feel self-conscious about the innate idiocy of their genre. Happily, Astbury doesn’t suffer from self-consciousness when he sings variations on the lyrics ”Baybee-baybee-baybeeee”; that’s why he’s so convincing. (In Astbury’s simplistic lexicon, all women are either babies, sistas, or mamas, while men get to be wild-hearted sons.) Ceremony, sounding much like the group’s 1989 smash Sonic Temple, is full of more brilliant variations on the theme, as well as Astbury’s familiar Native American motif: He used to paint his pale face red and wear the headdress of a chief. Here, on songs like ”Earth Mofo” and ”Indian,” the conceit rides the lyrics of the Cult’s patented blues-metal stomps (created by Astbury’s partner, guitarist, and fellow Led Zeppelin enthusiast Billy Duffy). The equally compelling ballads on Ceremony all have lengthy acoustic-guitar intros that lead up to Astbury’s ever more intense caterwauling about such primal themes as love, hate, betrayal, and ritual sacrifice. Freud would have a field day with all this, but then it’s probably these timeless, Oedipal topics that make the Cult so amusing. B
CeremonyThe Cult's Ian Astbury once told me he hated This Is Spinal Tap because the 1984 film forced heavy-metal bands to feel self-conscious about the...CeremonyRockThe Cult's Ian Astbury once told me he hated This Is Spinal Tap because the 1984 film forced heavy-metal bands to feel self-conscious about the...1991-10-11
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Reprise Records, Sire
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!