John Stamos has played a hunky teenager (on General Hospital), a hunky rock star (on CBS’ short-lived Dreams), and a hunky uncle (he’s starting his fifth season on ABC’s hit Full House). But on Oct. 13 at 9 p.m., the 28-year-old dark-haired heartthrob will be slipping into a decidedly un-hunky role — as a sadistic kidnapper and rapist on ABC’s Captive, a TV movie based on the criminal career of Robert Knott, who is currently serving multiple life sentences in a federal prison for a 1988 crime spree in the Northwest. ”During filming,” Stamos recalls, ”I stayed up till 3 or 4 in the morning to get that bedraggled look. I didn’t wash my hair for three weeks. My costars could tell you that I didn’t exactly smell great.” At first, Captive’s producers were skeptical that the squeaky-clean Stamos could play such an unsavory part. So Stamos campaigned to convince them, meeting the producers in a swank L.A. restaurant in his grubbiest outfit. ”I wanted to show that I’m not just this coiffed, motorcycle-riding, girl-chasing, rock & roll guy,” he says. Now that Stamos has gotten the grunge out of his system, what’s his next extracurricular activity? ”For the moment, I’m a homebody,” he says. ”I’ve been on the celibate and sober tour for three months.” Staying home Saturday nights, no doubt, to wash his hair.
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Mark Wahlberg to produce Boston Marathon bombing movie 'Patriots' Day'
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Netflix orders season 2 of 'Bloodline'
- 'Room 237' team launches Kickstarter campaign for mysterious new project
- Nathan Fillion shares his love letter to 'Walking Dead'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!