John Stamos has played a hunky teenager (on General Hospital), a hunky rock star (on CBS’ short-lived Dreams), and a hunky uncle (he’s starting his fifth season on ABC’s hit Full House). But on Oct. 13 at 9 p.m., the 28-year-old dark-haired heartthrob will be slipping into a decidedly un-hunky role — as a sadistic kidnapper and rapist on ABC’s Captive, a TV movie based on the criminal career of Robert Knott, who is currently serving multiple life sentences in a federal prison for a 1988 crime spree in the Northwest. ”During filming,” Stamos recalls, ”I stayed up till 3 or 4 in the morning to get that bedraggled look. I didn’t wash my hair for three weeks. My costars could tell you that I didn’t exactly smell great.” At first, Captive’s producers were skeptical that the squeaky-clean Stamos could play such an unsavory part. So Stamos campaigned to convince them, meeting the producers in a swank L.A. restaurant in his grubbiest outfit. ”I wanted to show that I’m not just this coiffed, motorcycle-riding, girl-chasing, rock & roll guy,” he says. Now that Stamos has gotten the grunge out of his system, what’s his next extracurricular activity? ”For the moment, I’m a homebody,” he says. ”I’ve been on the celibate and sober tour for three months.” Staying home Saturday nights, no doubt, to wash his hair.
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!