John Stamos has played a hunky teenager (on General Hospital), a hunky rock star (on CBS’ short-lived Dreams), and a hunky uncle (he’s starting his fifth season on ABC’s hit Full House). But on Oct. 13 at 9 p.m., the 28-year-old dark-haired heartthrob will be slipping into a decidedly un-hunky role — as a sadistic kidnapper and rapist on ABC’s Captive, a TV movie based on the criminal career of Robert Knott, who is currently serving multiple life sentences in a federal prison for a 1988 crime spree in the Northwest. ”During filming,” Stamos recalls, ”I stayed up till 3 or 4 in the morning to get that bedraggled look. I didn’t wash my hair for three weeks. My costars could tell you that I didn’t exactly smell great.” At first, Captive’s producers were skeptical that the squeaky-clean Stamos could play such an unsavory part. So Stamos campaigned to convince them, meeting the producers in a swank L.A. restaurant in his grubbiest outfit. ”I wanted to show that I’m not just this coiffed, motorcycle-riding, girl-chasing, rock & roll guy,” he says. Now that Stamos has gotten the grunge out of his system, what’s his next extracurricular activity? ”For the moment, I’m a homebody,” he says. ”I’ve been on the celibate and sober tour for three months.” Staying home Saturday nights, no doubt, to wash his hair.
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- Amy Schumer responds to open letter about Lafayette theater shooting
- Channing Tatum is (still) doing the 'Gambit' movie
- Simon Pegg ranks all the 'Star Wars' films in 60 seconds
- 'Sherlock' producer on how Victorian special changes Holmes and Watson
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!