John Stamos has played a hunky teenager (on General Hospital), a hunky rock star (on CBS’ short-lived Dreams), and a hunky uncle (he’s starting his fifth season on ABC’s hit Full House). But on Oct. 13 at 9 p.m., the 28-year-old dark-haired heartthrob will be slipping into a decidedly un-hunky role — as a sadistic kidnapper and rapist on ABC’s Captive, a TV movie based on the criminal career of Robert Knott, who is currently serving multiple life sentences in a federal prison for a 1988 crime spree in the Northwest. ”During filming,” Stamos recalls, ”I stayed up till 3 or 4 in the morning to get that bedraggled look. I didn’t wash my hair for three weeks. My costars could tell you that I didn’t exactly smell great.” At first, Captive’s producers were skeptical that the squeaky-clean Stamos could play such an unsavory part. So Stamos campaigned to convince them, meeting the producers in a swank L.A. restaurant in his grubbiest outfit. ”I wanted to show that I’m not just this coiffed, motorcycle-riding, girl-chasing, rock & roll guy,” he says. Now that Stamos has gotten the grunge out of his system, what’s his next extracurricular activity? ”For the moment, I’m a homebody,” he says. ”I’ve been on the celibate and sober tour for three months.” Staying home Saturday nights, no doubt, to wash his hair.
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds reacts to 'Deadpool' costars' viral moment
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on the man who made his 'penis look perfect'
- Adele's 'Carpool Karaoke' clip smashes YouTube records
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds remembers first date with Blake Lively
- Kanye West announces free livestream of Yeezy Season 3
- Waiting for new Harry Potter books, ranked
- Lee Majors to play Ash's dad on 'Ash vs Evil Dead'
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday