John Stamos has played a hunky teenager (on General Hospital), a hunky rock star (on CBS’ short-lived Dreams), and a hunky uncle (he’s starting his fifth season on ABC’s hit Full House). But on Oct. 13 at 9 p.m., the 28-year-old dark-haired heartthrob will be slipping into a decidedly un-hunky role — as a sadistic kidnapper and rapist on ABC’s Captive, a TV movie based on the criminal career of Robert Knott, who is currently serving multiple life sentences in a federal prison for a 1988 crime spree in the Northwest. ”During filming,” Stamos recalls, ”I stayed up till 3 or 4 in the morning to get that bedraggled look. I didn’t wash my hair for three weeks. My costars could tell you that I didn’t exactly smell great.” At first, Captive’s producers were skeptical that the squeaky-clean Stamos could play such an unsavory part. So Stamos campaigned to convince them, meeting the producers in a swank L.A. restaurant in his grubbiest outfit. ”I wanted to show that I’m not just this coiffed, motorcycle-riding, girl-chasing, rock & roll guy,” he says. Now that Stamos has gotten the grunge out of his system, what’s his next extracurricular activity? ”For the moment, I’m a homebody,” he says. ”I’ve been on the celibate and sober tour for three months.” Staying home Saturday nights, no doubt, to wash his hair.
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!