Notoriously vain, Warren Beatty would no doubt appreciate the fastidious video make-overs given to Shampoo . Criterion transfer supervisor Maria Groumbos gives Shampoo a visual sheen lacking in the tape; whenever Beverly Hills hairdresser Beatty offhandedly tells customers, ”You look great,” their color-corrected radiance drives home the truth of the remark and the depth of his insincerity. Too bad the movie still feels like a washout, thanks to an unconvincing Beatty-as-martyr finale and pretensions to social satire (it’s set around Election Day, 1968) that never gel. B-
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn, Tony Bill, Lee Grant, Jack Warden; Director: Hal Ashby; Author: Warren Beatty, Robert Towne; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $84.5M Friday
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!