While Britain’s comparably gifted soul singers, such as Paul Young and Boy George, have steadily sunk into careerless oblivion, Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall has prospered. Why? Mainly because of classy albums like Stars, which don’t break any new ground but have an understated groove that’s tasteful and disarming. At least two tracks here — ”Something Got Me Started” and ”Thrill Me” — are headed for the same mega- airplay that greeted the band’s 1989 No. 1 hit cover of ”If You Don’t Know Me by Now”; that both new tracks are penned by Hucknall (as is the whole album) proves that, unlike Young, his powers are much more than merely interpretive. The sort of album that critics ignore but the public latches onto instantly, Stars rises to the occasion and shines. B+
StarsWhile Britain's comparably gifted soul singers, such as Paul Young and Boy George, have steadily sunk into careerless oblivion, Simply Red's Mick...StarsR&B, PopWhile Britain's comparably gifted soul singers, such as Paul Young and Boy George, have steadily sunk into careerless oblivion, Simply Red's Mick...1991-10-11
Genre: R&B, Pop; Producer (group): EastWest
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See Game of Thrones fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!