While Britain’s comparably gifted soul singers, such as Paul Young and Boy George, have steadily sunk into careerless oblivion, Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall has prospered. Why? Mainly because of classy albums like Stars, which don’t break any new ground but have an understated groove that’s tasteful and disarming. At least two tracks here — ”Something Got Me Started” and ”Thrill Me” — are headed for the same mega- airplay that greeted the band’s 1989 No. 1 hit cover of ”If You Don’t Know Me by Now”; that both new tracks are penned by Hucknall (as is the whole album) proves that, unlike Young, his powers are much more than merely interpretive. The sort of album that critics ignore but the public latches onto instantly, Stars rises to the occasion and shines. B+
StarsWhile Britain's comparably gifted soul singers, such as Paul Young and Boy George, have steadily sunk into careerless oblivion, Simply Red's Mick...StarsR&B, PopWhile Britain's comparably gifted soul singers, such as Paul Young and Boy George, have steadily sunk into careerless oblivion, Simply Red's Mick...1991-10-11
Genre: R&B, Pop; Producer (group): EastWest
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!