Back in ye olde England, pixies were mythical creatures that surrounded, taunted, and confused innocent travelers. Today’s Pixies, a four-piece band from Boston, look pretty mild, but if they ever caught a stray woodsman without his ax — Skid Row’s Sebastian Bach, say — they’d instantly force the sucker to his knees, subduing him by their sheer sonic boom. Never a particularly quiet band, the Pixies are brutally loud on their fourth album, Trompe Le Monde: There’s a high-pitched, blood-red shriek scarring the surface of every track. But beneath the churning beat and wild noise, on songs like ”Planet of Sound” and ”Alec Eiffel,” the band plays sweetly pretty carnival-style melodies, full of angelic harmonies and hushed, echoey sound effects, while singer-guitarist Black Francis unleashes ominous, twisted sci-fi lyrics, sick-dog howls, and a spooky worldview (”I was looking handsome/She was looking like an erotic vulture”). Trompe Le Monde — French for ”Fool the World” — isn’t for the squeamish. But if you’re into the raw power of a punk-rock Ring of the Nibelung, go ahead and crank it. A-
Trompe Le MondeBack in ye olde England, pixies were mythical creatures that surrounded, taunted, and confused innocent travelers. Today's Pixies, a four-piece band...Trompe Le MondeRockBack in ye olde England, pixies were mythical creatures that surrounded, taunted, and confused innocent travelers. Today's Pixies, a four-piece band...1991-10-11
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): 4AD, Elektra
Posted October 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell: Disney developing 'Peter Pan' spinoff 'Tink'
- Molest claim vs. Josh Duggar; family says...
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!