Theatrical singing is about diction; soul music is about words sung so passionately it doesn’t matter if you can understand them. The Commitments might have been able to distract you with dialogue and motion on-screen, but without the visuals, their essential hollowness overwhelms all other considerations. Maria Doyle sort of copes with the teen-pop breathiness of Mary Wells’ ”Bye Bye Baby,” but asking her to dig into the deep soul of Aretha’s ”I Never Loved a Man” is one of the stupidest wastes of human energy since the Charge of the Light Brigade. And the male vocals are totally hopeless — when Robert Arkins reaches for falsetto shrieks at the end of ”Slip Away,” he sounds like a rabbit with a punctured lung, and Andrew Strong’s most credible moment is proving that ”call me Mr. Pitiful” can be a god-awful pun. But I suppose The Commitments — whose album leapt into Billboard’s top 10 — will content the growing number of people who prefer the hollow excesses of Michael Bolton to the genuine soulfulness of, say, Ray Charles. D-
The Commitments Theatrical singing is about diction; soul music is about words sung so passionately it doesn't matter if you can understand them. The ...The CommitmentsRock, Soundtracks Theatrical singing is about diction; soul music is about words sung so passionately it doesn't matter if you can understand them. The ...1991-10-18
Genre: Rock, Soundtracks; Lead Performers: Robert Arkins, Maria Doyle, Andrew Strong; Producer (group): MCA
Posted October 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!