Nearly 10 years ago, DJ Afrika Bambaataa took his crew of street-side rappers, the Zulu Nation, to downtown clubland, where he mixed their raw rhythms and rhymes with the high-tech slickness of European dance music. Bambaataa was dubbed Grandpa Bam for pioneering hip-hop (and hip-house), most memorably with ”Planet Rock,” which took the slick electronics of Kraftwerk’s ”Trans-Europe Express” to a totally new destination: the South Bronx. On Decade of Darkness, Bam returns to his early ’80s roots by reworking this hit and dubbing it ”Electro Funk Express.” Unfortunately, much of the album consists of similar recycling, but some tracks stand out — the beat-heavy ”Taste the Funk,” the taut, Prince-like ”Sweat,” and the soulful ”Freedom.” These days, Bam’s once underground hip-house has become the stuff of Coca-Cola Classic commercials, thanks to C+C Music Factory. But unlike most of the trendy hip-house imitators currently working, he has grit and soul. This album is one good street party, put together by an old master. B
The Decade of DarknessNearly 10 years ago, DJ Afrika Bambaataa took his crew of street-side rappers, the Zulu Nation, to downtown clubland, where he mixed their raw rhythms...The Decade of DarknessHip-Hop/RapNearly 10 years ago, DJ Afrika Bambaataa took his crew of street-side rappers, the Zulu Nation, to downtown clubland, where he mixed their raw rhythms...1991-10-18
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Afrika Bambaataa
Posted October 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!