When 33-year-old Keith Whitley went on a fatal alcoholic bender in 1989, he left behind three soon-to-be-gold albums that proved he had developed into one of the most affecting and heartfelt interpreters in modern country music. This posthumous collection, culled from family archives, record vaults, demo shelves, and interviews dating back to a Charleston, W. Va., radio performance at age 8, follows Whitley’s beginnings as a bluegrass musician, as he borrowed the raw emotional immediacy of bluegrass and the heedlessness of honky-tonk to forge his own neotraditionalist style. Although this isn’t a greatest-hits package — only three of these tracks, including the swingy ”Lucky Dog,” were previously released — Kentucky Bluebird does contain some of Whitley’s best moments on record, including many emotive vocal tracks preserved from an unreleased 1987 album and paired here with crisp new instrumental backings. Producer Garth Fundis says he deliberately stayed away from Whitley’s more melancholy material, but if ”Between an Old Memory and Me” doesn’t tear your heart out, you’d better take that stone to a cardiologist. A
Kentucky Bluebird When 33-year-old Keith Whitley went on a fatal alcoholic bender in 1989, he left behind three soon-to-be-gold albums that proved he had developed into...Kentucky BluebirdCountry When 33-year-old Keith Whitley went on a fatal alcoholic bender in 1989, he left behind three soon-to-be-gold albums that proved he had developed into...1991-10-18
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Keith Whitley
Posted October 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robert De Niro's 'The Comedian' finds a new director
- Who should play the young Han Solo in the 'Star Wars' spinoff? Vote now!
- Elodie Yung cast as Elektra in 'Daredevil' season 2
- Two more networks pull Bill Cosby reruns
- Subway drops Jared Fogle amid FBI investigation
- Grateful Dead's farewell shows earned estimated $55 million
- Go inside the studio with Janet Jackson in her lyric video for 'No Sleeep'
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!