In Sarah Canary, A mysterious and grotesque white woman wanders into a camp of Chinese railway workers in the winter of 1873. When Chin Ah Kin is chosen to lead her back to civilization, he is caught up in an adventure that will take him from the dark heart of the Washington Territory to the teeming streets of San Francisco. A reluctant, superstitious Chin is joined by a host of eccentrics and misfits who imbue the woman they come to call Sarah Canary with their own dreams and fears. Next to the journey of these delightfully quirky characters through an enchantingly bizarre post-Civil War America, the identity and fate of Sarah Canary seem inconsequential, a mere construct to keep Fowler’s rambunctious novel in motion. Readers who don’t mind questions without answers and mysteries without solutions will enjoy the riches of Sarah Canary. B+
Sarah Canary In Sarah Canary, A mysterious and grotesque white woman wanders into a camp of Chinese railway workers in the winter of 1873. When...Sarah CanaryHistorical Fiction, FictionKaren Joy Fowler In Sarah Canary, A mysterious and grotesque white woman wanders into a camp of Chinese railway workers in the winter of 1873. When...1991-10-18Henry Holt & Company
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fiction; Author: Karen Joy Fowler; Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Posted October 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Rizzoli & Isles' 100th ep: Angie Harmon describes directorial debut
- Third Eye Blind debut new song about police brutality
- Famed singer Marni Nixon dies at 86
- First Look: Jake Gyllenhaal, Amy Adams in 'Nocturnal Animals'
- WATCH: Which TV character would make the best president?
- Donald Trump Reddit AMA announced for Wednesday
- Bindi Irwin honors late father on 18th birthday
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'