You can imagine the newspaper item that must have inspired this novel: ”Dying Man Gets Last-Minute Heart Transplant — From His Grandson!” By now, we’re used to stories spun out of tabloid headlines, so it’s to Freeman’s credit that she has written such an extraordinarily moving book from the weird material here. In Set for Life, Phil is an ailing Idaho widower who gets a transplant and second lease on life when his grandson is killed in a car wreck. Louise is an addled, pregnant 16-year-old on the run from her mother and her neo-Nazi stepfather. Phil and Louise should never meet, but they do. It’s a buddy-movie conceit, of course, and much of the pleasure of Freeman’s novel comes from watching the two of them forge an odd friendship and beat back the nosy, insinuating world. Freeman does not shy away from painful material — Louise’s attempts to have an abortion without her parents’ consent, for instance — but she also writes plainly about love and about our obligations to one another. ”It seemed to her there were only two kinds of people in the world,” the author says of Louise early on, ”bullies and their victims.” Freeman’s book is an homage to two people who are neither. A
Set for Life You can imagine the newspaper item that must have inspired this novel: ''Dying Man Gets Last-Minute Heart Transplant — From His Grandson!'' By...Set for LifeFictionJudith Freeman You can imagine the newspaper item that must have inspired this novel: ''Dying Man Gets Last-Minute Heart Transplant — From His Grandson!'' By...1991-10-18W.W. Norton
Genre: Fiction; Author: Judith Freeman; Publisher: W.W. Norton
Posted October 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig get batty in 'Spy' Blu-ray clip
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' doesn't need McDreamy
- Tom Hardy brought his dog to the premiere of 'Legend'
- Just how well do you know 'Xena: Warrior Princess'?
- A-trak looks back on Fool's Gold Day Off's 5th birthday
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!