This chronically irreverent Brit (Flaubert’s Parrot, Staring at the Sun) has had a lot of praise heaped upon him over the years, and in this coy, impossibly chatty novel he begins to show the signs of strain. The plot of Talking It Over follows a man named Oliver who runs off with his best friend’s wife. Oliver fancies himself a ”classical humanist of artistic bent and romantic nature,” but is in fact a fatuous hanger-on who teaches English. His best friend, Stuart, is a dullard who works in a bank. And the object of their affection, an art restorer named Gillian, is a ”boring little goodie-goodie.” With this sort of cast, it’s a matter of little interest who winds up with whom. Oliver, Stuart, and Gillian take turns telling the story and one gets the predictable discrepancies and an awful lot of flat jokes. Barnes clearly means to get by on charm, to dazzle readers with a chorus of disparate voices, but as Stuart says of Oliver, ”He’s clever…but not clever enough to see that you have to be more than clever.” C+
Talking It Over This chronically irreverent Brit (Flaubert's Parrot, Staring at the Sun) has had a lot of praise heaped upon him over the years, and...Talking It OverFictionJulian Barnes This chronically irreverent Brit (Flaubert's Parrot, Staring at the Sun) has had a lot of praise heaped upon him over the years, and...1991-10-18Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Julian Barnes; Publisher: Knopf
Posted October 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!