This chronically irreverent Brit (Flaubert’s Parrot, Staring at the Sun) has had a lot of praise heaped upon him over the years, and in this coy, impossibly chatty novel he begins to show the signs of strain. The plot of Talking It Over follows a man named Oliver who runs off with his best friend’s wife. Oliver fancies himself a ”classical humanist of artistic bent and romantic nature,” but is in fact a fatuous hanger-on who teaches English. His best friend, Stuart, is a dullard who works in a bank. And the object of their affection, an art restorer named Gillian, is a ”boring little goodie-goodie.” With this sort of cast, it’s a matter of little interest who winds up with whom. Oliver, Stuart, and Gillian take turns telling the story and one gets the predictable discrepancies and an awful lot of flat jokes. Barnes clearly means to get by on charm, to dazzle readers with a chorus of disparate voices, but as Stuart says of Oliver, ”He’s clever…but not clever enough to see that you have to be more than clever.” C+
Talking It Over This chronically irreverent Brit (Flaubert's Parrot, Staring at the Sun) has had a lot of praise heaped upon him over the years, and...Talking It OverFictionJulian Barnes This chronically irreverent Brit (Flaubert's Parrot, Staring at the Sun) has had a lot of praise heaped upon him over the years, and...1991-10-18Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Julian Barnes; Status: In Season; Publisher: Knopf
Posted October 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Brad, Lea & Darren, Paul and More!