In Class Action, in a suit against a major auto company, a famous crusading civil rights lawyer (Gene Hackman) goes up against his estranged daughter (Robin Hood’s Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio), an ambitious, smart, insecure associate at a big corporate law firm. Emotionally, this is twisty and painful stuff, at times a touch tearful, and veneered with a too-slick Hollywood gloss. As usual, though, Hackman is reliable, committed, and self-effacingly effective, and there are much worse ways to spend time than gazing at Mastrantonio. With a generally intelligent, funny script and an attention-gripping story, Class Action is the video equivalent of a good read. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Gene Hackman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Laurence Fishburne; Director: Michael Apted; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted October 25 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jeff Probst on the players he is surprised did not get voted into 'Survivor'
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- Everything you need to know about the 2015 MTV VMAs
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!