Generally speaking, the banjo and jazz parted ways many decades back, but virtuosic banjoist Bela Fleck is almost single-handedly lobbying for reconciliation. Tweaking boundaries has long been Fleck’s wont, as he has shifted from bluegrass to spacegrass to swing-grass to his current ear-bending, genre-bending country-fusion (which echoes hillbilly rock-jazz band the Dixie Dregs). The Flecktones are a daringly different quartet, balanced between Fleck’s pointillist picking (on acoustic and electric banjos), Howard Levy’s masterful harmonica and piano playing, and the foundation of pop ‘n’ slap bassist Lemonte Victor Wooten and electronic drummer ”Future Man.” The campy slowpoke lope of the title tune has a ’30s cabaret air. On other tunes of Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, the Flecktones give an eccentric, waltzy spin to the Beatles’ ”Michelle” and gamely blend bluegrass with a samba rhythm on ”The Star-Spangled Banner.” Sometimes, cuteness or overarranging sullies the material, and a strident rhythm section tramples on Fleck’s lovely, fancy fingerwork on ”Hole in the Wall.” All in all, though, the Flecktones are an anomaly you can’t help but admire. B
Flight of the Cosmic Hippo Generally speaking, the banjo and jazz parted ways many decades back, but virtuosic banjoist Bela Fleck is almost single-handedly lobbying for...Flight of the Cosmic HippoJazz Generally speaking, the banjo and jazz parted ways many decades back, but virtuosic banjoist Bela Fleck is almost single-handedly lobbying for...1991-10-25Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
Genre: Jazz; Performers: Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
Posted October 25 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game