Generally speaking, the banjo and jazz parted ways many decades back, but virtuosic banjoist Bela Fleck is almost single-handedly lobbying for reconciliation. Tweaking boundaries has long been Fleck’s wont, as he has shifted from bluegrass to spacegrass to swing-grass to his current ear-bending, genre-bending country-fusion (which echoes hillbilly rock-jazz band the Dixie Dregs). The Flecktones are a daringly different quartet, balanced between Fleck’s pointillist picking (on acoustic and electric banjos), Howard Levy’s masterful harmonica and piano playing, and the foundation of pop ‘n’ slap bassist Lemonte Victor Wooten and electronic drummer ”Future Man.” The campy slowpoke lope of the title tune has a ’30s cabaret air. On other tunes of Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, the Flecktones give an eccentric, waltzy spin to the Beatles’ ”Michelle” and gamely blend bluegrass with a samba rhythm on ”The Star-Spangled Banner.” Sometimes, cuteness or overarranging sullies the material, and a strident rhythm section tramples on Fleck’s lovely, fancy fingerwork on ”Hole in the Wall.” All in all, though, the Flecktones are an anomaly you can’t help but admire. B
Flight of the Cosmic Hippo Generally speaking, the banjo and jazz parted ways many decades back, but virtuosic banjoist Bela Fleck is almost single-handedly lobbying for...Flight of the Cosmic HippoJazz Generally speaking, the banjo and jazz parted ways many decades back, but virtuosic banjoist Bela Fleck is almost single-handedly lobbying for...1991-10-25Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
Genre: Jazz; Performers: Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
Posted October 25 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from VICE documentary about 'Miami Connection'
- 'Bones' exclusive clip: Aubrey and Jessica's first kiss goes wrong
- Adele on 'Beyoncé: She is the 'most inspiring person'
- Miles Teller's boxing biopic 'Bleed for This' gets fall release date
- Lorde got everyone to sign her cast at the Met Gala
- Sinead O'Connor: Talk of Prince's unreleased material is 'uncouth'
- 'Twilight' author Stephenie Meyer casts her new YA film franchise
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast