In K-9000, A couple of genetically fortunate leads, some smart-aleck but sappy dialogue from hot writer Steven de Souza (Die Hard, Die Hard 2), decent production values, and a talking telepathic pooch make K-9000’s made-for-video fluff almost watchable. Almost. Twin Peaks’ Chris Mulkey, playing a renegade cop, and Dynasty’s Catherine Oxenberg, as a New Age scientist, appear embarrassed as they try to save the world by preventing a secret genetic experiment from getting into the wrong paws. Even K-9000, the chatty computerized German shepherd, looks lost. This film tries to capitalize on the recent rental successes of such canine capers as Turner and Hooch and K-9, but is K-9000 an action-packed shoot-out, a tongue-in-cheek comedy, or sentimental sci-fi? Answer: none of the above. D+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Chris Mulkey, Catherine Oxenberg, Dennis Haysbert, Jerry Houser; Director: Kim Manners; Author: Steven E. De Souza, Michael Part; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Fries Home Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!