Neil Young is generally not one to look back, which makes Weld especially disappointing. Recorded on his 1991 tour, the two-CD set finds Young and Crazy Horse — his long-suffering backup band — reprising songs from their 1990 album Ragged Glory plus a bunch of weatherworn Young standards. Unfortunately, Crazy Horse have only one style — the lumbering thud — so the Glory songs sound identical to the studio versions, and war-horses like ”Hey Hey, My My” and ”Like a Hurricane” sound exactly the way they did on the Young-Crazy Horse 1979 concert album Live Rust. The point may be to prove that Young and the boys can still raise a ruckus onstage. That’s fine, but couldn’t they have chosen a fresher batch of songs (say, from Young’s often underrated ’80s records)? Fans can revel in Young’s corrosive solos, an electric version of ”Crime in the City,” and (on Arc Weld, a limited-edition, three-CD version of this album) 35 perverse extra minutes of instrumental feedback. But Weld is mainly for fans of guitar freak-outs and, alas, nostalgia. B-
Weld Neil Young is generally not one to look back, which makes Weld especially disappointing. Recorded on his 1991 tour, the two-CD set...WeldRock Neil Young is generally not one to look back, which makes Weld especially disappointing. Recorded on his 1991 tour, the two-CD set...1991-10-25
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!