Despite the baffling irrelevance of its subject matter — all-but-universally-forgotten cowboy humorist Will Rogers and his association with the Ziegfeld Follies — the stage version of this show evidently simulates an old-fashioned Broadway-like experience so well that it earned this year’s Tony award for Best Musical. But shorn of the spectacle, dancing, and babes, The Will Rogers Follies is a tough listen. Broadway veteran Cy Coleman’s score is slick textbook hackery, a collection of generic ballads, decorative folksiness, and brassy dance instrumentals whose basic sound and sensibility don’t summon up either the real Rogers-Ziegfeld era (the late teens and ’20s), or even a ’90s take on it; weirdly, the score is more like an ultrasquare ‘60s version. Both music and lyrics (by one-time semi-greats Betty Comden and Adolph Green) make frequent efforts to be tongue-in-cheek, but not even the wry presence of Keith Carradine as Rogers can mask the fact that this score isn’t clever retro but authentic hokum. D
The Will Rogers Follies Despite the baffling irrelevance of its subject matter — all-but-universally-forgotten cowboy humorist Will Rogers and his association with the...The Will Rogers FolliesSoundtracks Despite the baffling irrelevance of its subject matter — all-but-universally-forgotten cowboy humorist Will Rogers and his association with the...1991-10-25
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!