On their debut album, Brand New Man, singer-songwriters Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn sound imitative but also smart enough to figure out exactly what the yahoo faction of the country audience wants to hear. Their No. 1 hit, ”Brand New Man,” a gentle country-rocker, manages to mix almost all of the stereotypical Southern comforts and fears: It’s a hellfire vocal laid over a lyric about baptism, beer joints, and rebirth through a good woman’s love. There’s even the famous Hank Williams Sr. lyric, ”I saw the light,” thrown in for good measure. The debt to Hank comes through still more clearly on the duo’s better songs, ”Cheating on the Blues” and ”I’m No Good,” both of which re-create the mournful sound of Williams’ hillbilly honky-tonk. From there, though, it all goes astray. Brooks & Dunn may have a brand new act, but their shtick is as old as the hills. C
Brand New ManOn their debut album, Brand New Man, singer-songwriters Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn sound imitative but also smart enough to figure out...Brand New ManCountryOn their debut album, Brand New Man, singer-songwriters Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn sound imitative but also smart enough to figure out...1991-11-01
Posted November 1 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Bones' taps Betty White as new squintern
- Angelina Jolie Pitt's 'By the Sea' will open AFI Fest
- George R. R. Martin says Stannis is still alive — in the books
- Michelle Pfeiffer to play Bernie Madoff's wife in HBO's 'Wizard of Lies'
- Post-apocalyptic survivors tool up in exclusive clip from 'Turbo Kid'
- New 'Homeland' season 5 trailer: Carrie can't escape her past
- Malala won't be silenced in latest trailer for 'He Named Me Malala'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!