How can you keep up with who’s who and, more precisely, who’s where on NBC’s popular Saturday-night sitcoms on Nov. 9? Dinah Manoff of Empty Nest will appear on a special one-hour Golden Girls, Girls’ Estelle Getty will visit Empty Nest, and Park Overall of Nest and Betty White of Girls will appear on Nurses. Got it? On NBC’s ”seamless night,” Hurricane Gil and Hurricane Heidi will hit Florida and wreak havoc on the characters of the three sitcoms, all set in Miami. While shows have had overlapping plots before (ABC’s Family Matters and Step by Step this season), this is the first time a network has sewn three shows together. ”Warren Littlefield [NBC Entertainment president] asked us to try to run one story line through all three episodes,” says Tony Thomas, a co-executive producer of all three shows, ”and we figured it might be fun.” Thomas is pleased with the results, but it was ”an absolute headache.” No major injuries to any favorite characters can be reported, but, says Thomas, ”Empty Nest bore the brunt of the wetness.”
Posted November 1 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney heads to 'Masters of Sex'
- Laura Jane Grace explains her bandmates' reaction to her coming out as transgender
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' gets covered in 20 different styles in under 5 minutes
- 'UnREAL' renewed for season 2
- Grant Morrison gives 'Heavy Metal' a punk rock facelift
- How well do you know your geek trivia? Take EW's Comic-Con quiz to find out
- 'Star Wars' at Comic-Con: What you'll see (J.J. Abrams and Co.) and what you won't (new trailer)
- Soundbites of the week: Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!