Wheeee! Here come three new releases from the teen technodance bin (Jesus Jones division), all of them combining scintillating rhythm tracks with a kaleidoscope of hooky musical styles — dabbles of house music, rap, synth-pop, and for the old folks, good ol’ rock & roll. Blur’s Leisure is the standout here, plastering a Carnaby Street drawl and psychedelic guitars over some very modern, man-and-machine backing tracks. Don’t miss the throbbing chorus to ”She’s So High” or the acid-house-meets-British-Invasion beats of ”Fool” or ”There’s No Other Way.”…The musical palette is a bit broader on Screamadelica, the first full U.S. release from Primal Scream. My personal favorite is the band’s cover of Roky Erickson’s ”Slip Inside This House”; with their wound-up house-music version, they pull off a nice aural pun. Elsewhere you get everything from thoroughly modernized Stones (”Movin’ On Up”) to a thoroughly rocked-up take on the percolating black pop of Soul II Soul (”Don’t Fight It, Feel It”). Ultimately, though, the pastiches backfire a bit; the dizzying array of styles keeps the band from developing a consistent personality…. Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, believe it or not, is aptly named: Stylistically, God Fodder contains everything but the kitchen sink, all done nuclear strength. The music is dancified, but there’s some punk here as well — the guitars attack your speakers (and ears). ”Kill your television,” they holler in one song, and there’s even a nicely sarcastic look at what used to be called the generation gap. The guys in Ned’s actually seem to have something to say. Leisure: A-; Screamadelica: B+; God Fodder: B+
LeisureWheeee! Here come three new releases from the teen technodance bin (Jesus Jones division), all of them combining scintillating rhythm tracks with a...LeisureRockWheeee! Here come three new releases from the teen technodance bin (Jesus Jones division), all of them combining scintillating rhythm tracks with a...1991-11-08
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): SBK
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal return: 'the bad idea morphs into something really cool'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!