Back in the ’50s, schlock movie mavens used to think up shamelessly blatant, lurid titles in order to sucker teenagers into drive-ins. If the title worked, the movie didn’t have to be much of anything. Director Wes Craven (A Nightmare on Elm Street) appears to be following suit. In The People Under the Stairs, some kids are chased through a house by a couple of puritanical mom-and-pop wackos who make the Bundys look like the Bradys.(The movie’s one distinction is that the ‘mother’ is played by — with supreme viciousness — by a female impersonator named Wendy Robie.) And just who are the people under the stairs? They’re a pack of reject male offspring who stagger around like metalhead versions of the undead. If there were truth in advertising, The People Under the Stairs would be called The Not Very Scary Movie Set Inside a Grungy, Badly Lit House. D
The People Under the Stairs Back in the '50s, schlock movie mavens used to think up shamelessly blatant, lurid titles in order to sucker teenagers into drive-ins. If the title...The People Under the StairsHorrorWes CravenR Back in the '50s, schlock movie mavens used to think up shamelessly blatant, lurid titles in order to sucker teenagers into drive-ins. If the title...1991-11-15A.J. LangerVing RhamesA.J. Langer, Ving RhamesUniversal
Genre: Horror; Starring: Brandon Adams, Everett McGill, Wendy Robie, A.J. Langer, Ving Rhames; Director: Wes Craven; Author: Wes Craven; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted November 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?