Back in the ’50s, schlock movie mavens used to think up shamelessly blatant, lurid titles in order to sucker teenagers into drive-ins. If the title worked, the movie didn’t have to be much of anything. Director Wes Craven (A Nightmare on Elm Street) appears to be following suit. In The People Under the Stairs, some kids are chased through a house by a couple of puritanical mom-and-pop wackos who make the Bundys look like the Bradys.(The movie’s one distinction is that the ‘mother’ is played by — with supreme viciousness — by a female impersonator named Wendy Robie.) And just who are the people under the stairs? They’re a pack of reject male offspring who stagger around like metalhead versions of the undead. If there were truth in advertising, The People Under the Stairs would be called The Not Very Scary Movie Set Inside a Grungy, Badly Lit House. D
The People Under the Stairs Back in the '50s, schlock movie mavens used to think up shamelessly blatant, lurid titles in order to sucker teenagers into drive-ins. If the title...The People Under the StairsHorrorWes CravenR Back in the '50s, schlock movie mavens used to think up shamelessly blatant, lurid titles in order to sucker teenagers into drive-ins. If the title...1991-11-15A.J. LangerVing RhamesA.J. Langer, Ving RhamesUniversal
Genre: Horror; Starring: Brandon Adams, Everett McGill, Wendy Robie, A.J. Langer, Ving Rhames; Director: Wes Craven; Author: Wes Craven; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted November 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Spider-Man': Tom Holland went undercover at New York high school to prep
- Madonna calls out 'blatant sexism' in Billboard acceptance speech
- Arnold Schwarzenegger on Donald Trump: 'I want my ratings higher than his'
- WATCH: Patrick Wilson, Ian McShane face off in 'The Hollow Point' clip
- 'Days of our Lives' actor Joseph Mascolo dies at 87
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead': Bruce Campbell previews 'pretty big' season finale
- Shaquille O'Neal lip syncs Beyoncé's 'All Night'