At a time when everything is uncertain — communism is collapsing, Iraq may or may not have nuclear warheads, New Kids on the Block are trying to prove their maturity by growing facial hair — you almost have to admire a record like We Can’t Dance. It’s somehow comforting that no matter how many years pass between Genesis albums (in this case, five), you know precisely what you’re getting. You know that Phil Collins will write maudlin love songs and heavy-handed social commentary, that guitarist Mike Rutherford will strum along idly, and that keyboardist Tony Banks will set it all to the blandest watercolor synthesizers this side of Yanni. You know there will be a couple of fleeting moments when the band breaks out of its torpor — for instance, on the very polite primal stomp of ”I Can’t Dance” — and that such moments will just as quickly be subsumed by the rest of the musical quicksand. So let’s hear it for consistency. Anyone? C
We Can't Dance At a time when everything is uncertain — communism is collapsing, Iraq may or may not have nuclear warheads, New Kids on the Block are trying to...We Can't DanceRock At a time when everything is uncertain — communism is collapsing, Iraq may or may not have nuclear warheads, New Kids on the Block are trying to...1991-11-15
Posted November 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp': On the set of the prequel
- Azealia Banks: Australian crowds are 'violent' and 'terrible'
- Exclusive clip from TV satire 'Shooting the Warwicks' is unreal
- Diane Keaton joins Jude Law for HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Someone's made a 'Breaking Bad'-inspired coffee shop
- Netflix cancels 'Lilyhammer' after three seasons
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!