Planet Drum is more than just an album. This is the aural branch of Grateful Dead percussionist Hart’s grand ”Planet Drum” project, a vision that also embraces Planet Drum the coffee-table book, and the Planet Drum Foundation (which, according to the liner notes, is ”committed to a synthesis of people and habitat through bioregional education”). It’s all so politically correct your teeth may hurt, but at least the music itself is free of posturing. Hart has rounded up six of the ”great drummers from around the world” to produce a spirited series of all-percussion jams. Any album that lets Nigeria’s Babatunde Olatunji, Brazil’s Airto Moreira, and India’s Zakir Hussain whang away on everything from African drums to clay pots on their own chest cavities is worth your while, and the ingenuity of the rhythmic cross-stitching hoists most of the record far above New Age blandness. You do have to wonder, though: If Mickey Hart is so dedicated to breaking down international barriers, how come his name’s the only one on the cover? B
Planet Drum Planet Drum is more than just an album. This is the aural branch of Grateful Dead percussionist Hart's grand ''Planet Drum'' project, a...Planet DrumWorld Planet Drum is more than just an album. This is the aural branch of Grateful Dead percussionist Hart's grand ''Planet Drum'' project, a...1991-11-29
Genre: World; Lead Performer: Mickey Hart
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Big Sean performs 'One Man Can Change The World' on 'Fallon'
- 'Notary Publix' sneak peek: Jay Pharoah joins Kate McKinnon's series
- Weezer fan club single 'Everybody Needs Salvation' is now available to... everybody
- Kelly Clarkson, Ed Sheeran, more join Billboard Music Awards lineup
- George Clooney fights to protect his futuristic house in 'Tomorrowland' trailer
- Hear Lisa Loeb's new song '3,2,1, Let Go' from the movie 'Helicopter Mom'
- Watch LL Cool J really try to play Pictionary with Jimmy Fallon, Rose Byrne and Big Sean
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!